“Leapfrogging outlines exactly the right principles for creating a mindset that challenges orthodoxies, and seeks out and learns from surprises.”
Deborah Arcoleo, Director, Global Innovation Center of Excellence, The Hershey Company
How did Gatorade revitalize itself in the wake of Red Bull and Starbucks? How did OpenTable come to be? How did Four Seasons become the world’s leading luxury hotel brand? What makes one leader or company thrive while others languish in mediocrity?
Leapfrogging connects new research, unconventional strategies and practical tools for navigating the seemingly “messy” process of achieving business breakthroughs. The book draws upon Soren Kaplan’s twenty years of hands-on experience, research studies from universities around the world, and case examples from global companies, start-ups, and nonprofits – including Gatorade, Intuit, OpenTable, Philips, Four Seasons, Colgate-Palmolive, Kimberly-Clark, Etsy, Apple, Google, and many other smaller firms.
Leapfrogging gives business leaders the tools to do exactly what they’re taught to avoid: embrace uncertainty and invite surprises. Soren shows how anyone can harness the power of surprise and demonstrates that:
- Business breakthroughs deliver surprise. Our brains are wired to appreciate positive surprise. Great ideas surprise us with a strong dose of remarkable newness in ways that add value to our lives and challenge our assumptions about what we thought possible.
- Surprises are strategic tools that drive breakthroughs. By proactively seeking out and using surprises as “guideposts” when they occur, we can gain new insights, generate ideas and discover new directions for ourselves and our organizations.
- Business breakthroughs transform people and organizations. Breakthrough business success doesn’t simply result from a great idea. It involves a challenging and transformative journey through deep ambiguity, unforeseen events and inevitable failures in order to come out the other side to achieve business breakthroughs
Leapfrogging shows how any organization or business function can “change the game” – and delivers a revolutionary formula for rethinking your business:
- Use unexpected events and surprises to create focus and direction
- Push personal boundaries to challenge mindsets and assumptions
- Apply intuition and judgment in strategic decision-making
- Tap into failure as a catalyst for success
- Manage the paradoxes of organizational innovation
Using Soren’s LEAPS process (Listen, Explore, Act, Persist, and Seize), leaders learn to recognize and harness surprising experiences and events as a way to create solutions that leap beyond the current expectations of customers, partners, employees, the market, and the competition.